Monday, November 10, 2008

Shopping differences...

I have noticed something over the past several years about differences in shopping habits between me and my dear husband. When we moved out to the country, DH started doing a majority of the grocery shopping at the stores in town on his way home from work. This saved a trip for me as well as a bit of money... at first. That was when I could still write a list for him to follow and I knew what the prices were. Going on 4 years later and the variation in the economy, I have no idea what most prices are anymore. This makes list writing difficult. DH also has a tendency to buy items spur of the moment, many of them junk or sweet: chips, sugar cereal, ice cream, cake mixes. He goes without a budget in mind.

When I shop, I try to take my time, even when I am in a "hurry". I compare and will look at some things for several minutes determining if the sale item is really a better price than the generic. Or exactly how much meat/$ do we need for the meals I planned vs what is on sale. I usually have a certain amount I can spend as well. Being under this restraint keeps me in check with the junk foods. I try to get a couple treats but that is also to keep them as treats and not habits. In fact, that is probably one of the best things I can suggest to ANY one that is having budget issues especially in the current economy, take a specific amount of cash to the store with you and have a good idea of the meals you are planning for your time frame.

just rambling...

1 comment:

Denese said...

I know what you mean about your husband, mine was real bad about bringing in too many sweets.

I need to the shopping. :)